Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Mothers in our Lives!

Shmoopy asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day. I told her I would get back to her because I honestly didn't have anything in mind.  It got me thinking though. Then I decided that I really wanted to spend the day honoring the mothers in our lives who couldn't be with us.  It dawned on me that Princessa and my ethiopian children should remember their birth mothers as well. So, I am thinking of getting flowers to plant in our garden on sunday in honor of them.
Alma-was 14 when she became pregnant with Princessa. She would be about 19 now. Her birthday is in May around this time. I speak with our baby often about her. She lives somewhere in Peten and we have no idea if she has any more children now.   We have one picture of her that shows her profile. Beautiful long straight brown hair and a sweet face.
Elena- Princessa's foster mom who took care of her for 8months and still receives pics from us.  A year ago I asked Princessa how she learned how to pray so well and she told me that it was from Elena.
Bayoush-the mother of our 3 ethiopian children who is in Heaven now.  We have no picture of her but we know she was beautiful and the mother of two additional boys in Ethiopa ages 16 and 14.  We know she sang and liked to cook. She also had beautiful long hair.
Grandma Atalay in Ethiopia-Bayoush's mom and the grandmother that took care of the kids after their mother died. She tried to take care of them forever but eventually had to give them to the orphanage.  For our two youngest Ethiopian children she is the one they mostly remember as their mom.
And of course we will remember Grandma Shirley in Illinois, Grandma Gale in Florida and their mothers.
It may be a bittersweet day for our kids. But i would like them to have a sense of pride and knowing that they have always been loved and never rejected. This is a way for them to show love and respect for the women in their lives they may never see again...I hope one day we get to meet Alma and see Elena again. I hope we also get to see Grandma Atalay. Only time will tell. In the meantime, we will have flowers.  Our children love flowers and they will always be a reminder to them of the women that will always love them dearly....

1 comments:

Beth in NC said...

That is such a great idea! My little one and I had a short talk about her not being in my tummy. I was grateful to have the names of your kids and some others who weren't in their "Mommy's" tummy either.

Happy Mother's Day precious friend!
Beth