Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2008

"Mom...Why Cry???"

I couldn't help it...I just cried and cried during our church service today. And Grace kept staring. I had to explain to her that I was crying because I was happy. We told them about waiting for them and that we were so happy they were here in America. I also explained what communion was. I also couldn't believe I was standing next to my African children who go to the same church as 25 Ugandan orphans (African Children's Choir) and that Jared was in sunday school with Naty ( who was once his bunk mate in the orphanage in Ethiopia). I also cried because my kids just happen to be able to hear the ACC sing and dance "OH HAPPY DAY, " during worship. How extravagant is God to these kids? I can't believe that across the aisle are my Ethiopian friends who can speak to my kids in their native language. I am overcome with emotion. I never ever in my life even knew an ethiopian person before in my life.

The main reason I cried and cry about my family is that I cannot believe that God has blessed us with each other. I was a woman obsessed with my self involved business of music. I never ever thought I would have a successful marriage but always wanted one (even though the stats are very dreary for children from families of divorce like myself). I always wanted kids but never thought God would bless me. Now I have 6 beautiful kids. And as we talk about Christ's resurrection, I think about the death of my children's parents and the fact that they are now in a happy family in the middle of North Carolina surrounded by black and white people worshiping together. Talk about life resurrected...I am staring at it in the eyes of my kids. I guess I was just feeling God's grace and blessings today. "Why do you love ME GOD...I feel so unworthy and yet I am so blessed." AMAZING....So, I explained to Grace that my tears were tears of joy.

After church at 2 we had a potluck at our friends the Spivaks. It was awesome. And then we went to Mirembe House to bring dinner to the kids out there at 6. This is the house our church bought for the African Children's Choir. They live in this house in the country when not touring. So my friends Jerry and Terri (who's daughter Marie is on the road with Invisible Children), Heather and Andrew (adopting from Ethiopia), Lindsey and John (my newlywed friends), and Sommer Wisher and Todd Fisher from Lifepointe Church (with the chrisitan ice cream truck..hA!) all brought dinner out to the ACC. Again, mommy cries as my 3 Ethiopian kids play with other African kids 20 minutes from my house in NC....How is this possible? They are jumping on the trampoline together, playing soccer, playing frisbee and eating chicken together.....WAAA....Happy tears....Then we all head back home as if this is so natural almost oblivious at how remarkable it all is.....HUh????

Great Easter..Thank you God..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deanna,

What an awesome testimony! You probably don't remember me, but I was at Eileen Mestas' shower and she introduced you to me. Our family is awaiting a little girl from China, but feel that while waiting, the Lord is sending us to Ethiopia. We are requesting two children between ages 2 and 5. I would love to talk with you or email you. Even though I am trying to trust the Lord every step of the way, I am getting really nervous. Would you mind emailing me? I wanted to come to Eileen's twin girls birthday/Ethiopia Community Group, but we had to go out of town. I was hoping to see you there. Anyway, would love to hear from you. Love, Carla livingbygrace2003@yahoo.com

Sherry said...

Ahhh, what a wonderfully blessed Resurrection Sunday you had! I am glad that you have such diversity in your area!

graceling said...

When God gives good gifts to His children, he gives REALLY good gifts, doesn't he:)

LISA said...

Wonderful post!

Lisa said...

Beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.