Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2008

AIDS ORPHANS! What can we do?

I came across this video online. It was on the Red Letters Campaign site. I was always confused about the definition of "AIDS ORPHAN"...is it a child orphaned by AIDS but HIV negative ?or is it an orphan that also happens to be HIV Positive? I guess people use that phrase to define both sets of orphans. The truth is they are simply children. They are God's children. My children are orphaned due to AIDS...so my children to some are considered to be AIDS ORPHANS. I listen as my kids tell me sweet stories of how their mother loved to cook and how she would braid their hair. She was their mother. She had AIDS. She was beautiful. She was alive and vibrant and thriving at one point with 5 children altogether. Something happened. She got sick. She died and the children then became 'orphans'. Now they are home with us and we went swimming this weekend. We showed them a hula hoop for the first time. They blew bubbles and laughed while they watched JUNGLE BOOK. They jumped on a trampoline. My son cried and ran to me crying 'MOMMY!"when he cut his foot. I placed a band aid on it. People are fascinated. People are fascinated by the way our family has blended together so well. Because of this, everyday we are given the opportunity to answer questions regarding Africa/HIV, orphans and God's call to us. I really believe it is our responsibility to make sure people do not forget the mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers in INdia, Ethiopia, China and in places all over the world where people are dying of AIDS. What do we do? This video says it all. Sometimes we just need to be there to let them know we care. Some are pulled to adopt. Some are called to work in villages or hospitals. We met the beautiful HIV Positive children at the AHOPE orphanage in Addis. Some of them will be adopted and live a wonderful long life in America with their new families, great medical care and good nutrition. For each one of these children there are thousands of children that will die in these countries never having found a family. I do hope they are able to see a smiling face or be held before they pass from this world.....For me.(in addition to remembering the amazing veterans in our country)..on memorial day I want to remember these people around the world battling in another crazy war that seems impossible to conquer. I believe we can conquer it if we don't forget them and make it a priority to go, reach out, pray, contribute, send meds, send food, sponsor and/or show love to these people in whatever way we feel called.

0 comments: