Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2008

The $6.23 twenty one pound turkey!

I was so excited when our local Harris Teeter grocery store sent out an email notice that for 3 days they were selling their turkey's for .29cents a pound. So I ran to the store and grabbed a 21 pounder. We were having 15 adults and 6 kids. So, since it was frozen solid..I mean really frozen I had to spend practically a week greeting the turkey about 3 times a day in the fridge to poke at it to see if it was defrosted. After 5 days it was still frozen so I tackled the defrosting task with the cold water method and then put it back in the fridge until the following day...I cooked it via a method I learned a few years ago. ...I steamed it in a foiled tent with a little bit of water on the bottom of the pan. I also cooked it breast down...Well I have to say that I was so proud when my brother in law went to carve the turkey and couldn't stop repeating..."This is unbelievable. The turkey is so tender it is falling off of the bone." So, the investment was worth it to say the least. AND then it was the turkey that kept on giving. We had left overs two days in a row and I made pasta with the turkey meat last night and will still have enough for sandwiches. My kids wanted to know why we have thanksgiving...they also all asked me why everyone had to leave. My mother was here for several days and two of my sisters came. My 6 year old nephew was here too...we really enjoyed eachother. THe children love having a full house. Today Ella seemed a little sad because everyone was gone. Yesterday afternoon Jared took a 3 hour nap. He had played with Dominick (superheros) non stop. Last year at this time I was in tears because I found out that our adoption case was kicked out of court for the 4th time. This year we are so grateful to have our family in tact and to be able to watch as the kids learn how to bake pies, make gravy, mash potatoes and eat until you have to unfasten your pants. We are so thankful for our family and friends and pray for those waiting to bring their children home!!!!

0 comments: