Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

When Your Heart Breaks for the Orphans!!!!

Prior to adopting Matea from Guatemala I couldn't eat or sleep just longing to do SOMETHING for the 143 orphans that are without parents globally. I thought that I would find total peace after adopting her. Then the burden was intense as I learned more and more about the plight of orphans in Africa. The burden to adopt then was so heavy. I would cry and cry out to God asking Him to please use us to help. Once we adopted our three children there was relief in knowing they were home. I really do feel peace in knowing that (as far as our plans go--God could always change things) our family is complete. But with all of that being said my heart still breaks for the children that are left behind. Some beautiful HIV babies that could live long lives here in America will die in Africa simply because they don't have the appropriate medicine or nutrition to sustain their healing. When these children are adopted they thrive in their new families. There are children over 5 and up to 16 that have less of a chance of being adopted because of their age. Believe it or not, many people that adopt are so afraid to adopt older kids (even 5 year olds). They are especially afraid to adopt children that are pre teens or teens. When my kids came home they told me of how they were praying and praying for a family. The first letter I received from them as they were waiting for the paperwork to be completed was a plea to ask my friends to come and adopt their friends. They also asked me if I could adopt their friends. Once those friends found a home we received other notes from other friends that had been waiting three years for a family .This was a group of 3 gorgeous girls ages 11-15. My life is so amazing. My family is incredible. Adoption has blessed us in ways we could not imagine. I have another passion in advocating for the unborn with pro life causes. Still, on certain days when I take a minute I can cry almost instantaneously when I think about the children that are left behind ...waiting..praying...and hoping for someone to come for them. Grace and Ella tell me they would look up to the sky and see an airplane and wonder if one day they would fly away from the orphanage into a place of their own where they wouldn't have to worry if they would end up on the street one day....Today somewhere on this planet little children like my Grace, jared, Ella, and Matea are looking up to the sky praying...somewhere there is also a little tug in someones heart who longs to adopt...that person will either say to themselves 'maybe someday', 'we can't afford it" or "yes..i hear you and mommy is coming.." I pray that these potential parents can hear the prayers of the orphan children and say "I will be there please don't give up hope.."

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Good stuff Deanna. We hear the cry and are preparing to answer. One thing - did you mean 143 million orphans worldwide?