Pages

Monday, September 1, 2008

I miss my COW! WAAAA!

So, saturday night it rained and thundered etc. All of the power went out which meant we had a spontaneous slumber party in my room. Prior to that Ella was mad that I made her go into her room because she threw all of the clean laundry (two loads) into a pile with dirty clothes..that is how they cleaned their room..picked up the clean clothes and rather than putting it in the drawers threw it back in the laundry room. So, she was in trouble. Then I hear screaming from their bedroom. I run in and the window is open. Grace had stopped Ella from trying to jump out the 2nd floor to run away. When i opened the door and saw what Ella was doing I put her in a corner and slapped her hands. This upset her and she ran out the front door into the lightning. Mark ran out to get her while Grace started crying telling me that she promised her grandma she would take care of her forever. I told her that Mark would get her. Mark carried Ella (both of them were wet) back into the house. Ella said 'mommy no like me make me go bed early." Again I tried to explain that i love her so much and in families we learn the rules and the parents can discipline. I started to feel regret for slapping her hands. Then Grace said to me "Mom, my grandma and mom would slap Ella's hands too when she run away in Ethiopia." I said "She would run away in Ethiopia?" I thought she was running because of being in America/adopted etc. Apparently Ella is very dramatic and has been doing this since she has been 3. Grace said 'yes she run away to her friend house to watch TV out window. My grandma find her and slap her on hands, butt, face." They both started laughing hysterically as Grace was telling the story. Then lightning cracks and flashes, all the power goes out and Grace becomes inconsolably freaked out in the fetal position under a quilt in my bedroom. After 20 minutes of sobbing and terror she comes out from the covers...now it is pitch black with the exception of light from my iphone and andrew's ipod (we don't use flash lights or candles just mac products..ha). When Grace comes out of the covers she starts telling me of a story her mom told her from some kind of Ethiopian Orthodox beliefs of how the demons come out when it is dark and storming because God is not happy and she thought she saw one with black cape and red eyes in her memory. The minute I say the word "JESUS" she is calm and the atmosphere changes in the entire room. Then I continue to pray and say how we are protected etc. All changed. We stayed in the bedroom and that night there were children strewn out all over our room. Around midnight the power came back on..I was asleep by then. Today, Grace was very sad again wanting a picture of her mother..(everyone please please please pray for this to happen...this is really important to them and apparently a point of stress for them). So she is crying and then tells me "I MISS MY COW." I said "Your cow?" She said "MY COW." Tears streaming from her cheeks. And then she says its name was "SHABIRR"(my spelling)...She says "and shabirr black and white and I walk everyday all day with my cow and she give me milk and she have baby." I said "our friends have cows we can go see them." She cries..."I miss my cow..." She had been holding this cow grief in I guess for sometime because after she chatted about it and I did the mom thing saying "i'm sorry honey about your cow" nodding and acting completely understanding..she then finally was her old self and was hungry and came to the kitchen......Who knew a COW could cause so much grief?

0 comments: