Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2008

THE POWER OF PRAYER! Mirembe House





What a great weekend we have had! I know some of you know the story of how we came to adopt our children but as a reminder I will give a summary again. Two years ago Mark and I performed at a concert to raise money for ZOE (Zimbabwe Orphan Endeavor). In the concert the minister mentioned there were 40 million orphans in Africa alone. I questioned the number and when I found out that it was accurate I couldn't stop feeling a huge burden for Africa. God also told me not to discuss my heavy burden to adopt with my husband. In late 2006 I laid my head down one day and spent a significant amount of time in heavy prayer pleading with God to either take the burden from me or make me someones angel. I asked Him to please allow my family to answer the prayers of the dying mothers in Africa and to let us do something. If it wasn't to adopt then to help in some way. The prayer coinciding almost exactly to the day that my children were placed in their orphanage. Many other coincidences happened immediately following that prayer. Then one day I was at my son's basketball game. I started a conversation with a woman who just sat down next to me. I told her about the burden for orphans in Africa. She said "Really, my husband is the mission director at KPIC (www.kpic.org) and we are buying a house for the African Children's choir , a group of 25 Ugandan orphans. Would you like to see the house and be a part of our welcoming committee?" Huh? I was in awe at God's immediate response to prayer. This was in Feb 07. On March 17, 2007 (my daughter Matea's 2nd birthday) we greeted the orphans at Mirembe House. I watched as my husband stood and was embraced by 25 Ugandan orphans. I watched as he put up a trampoline on the property and befriended the staff. My burden to adopt was heavy. Still in prayer God said..."Don't tell him?" One day while watching African Children's Choir on American Idol Gives Back 2007, I literally felt the need to go to my husband and shout at him ordering him to adopt. I ate about 3 bowls of chocolate ice cream instead. About 1 month later my husband asked if we were adopting again...I said "I think we are." Then we moved full steam ahead. Our papers were started in May. On July 18th we accepted our referral. On Christmas day the adoption was complete. They were home on Feb 1st.

This weekend we said goodbye to that choir at Mirembe House. An entirely new choir will come in May. We cried and yet were filled with joy on Saturday as we watched our Ethiopian children playing with their 25 Ugandan friends. They jumped on the trampoline together, ate cookies together, did crafts and played with their dolls. On the way home I turned to Mark and said..."Man,,,God has really set this adoption up to every detail. i cannot believe our life." We are considered auntie and uncle to the ACC and will most likely be the same to the new choir. Our children will form more friendships this time with a choir that is exactly in their age range 6-9. At church today I watched as Grace befriended another African girl who just happens to go to our church. My friends Yemi and Ban are literally like a sister and brother to us and will be braiding the kids hair this week and cooking for them. They will also carry on all of their conversations in Amharic with our children. I cannot believe how blessed we are . I never ever even knew any one recently from Africa prior to considering adoption. I cannot believe how alive God is. I cannot believe the details that are handled by Him. I wonder why I worry so much at times. His presence and magnificence in the sweetest most minuscule things are too fantastic for words....

If any of you are in a place now where I was with a longing for adoption/orphan ministry. Or if you feel any calling from God but don't know how to start or how to make it happen. I highly recommend going to Him in prayer. Call to Him! Cry to Him! Give the burden to Him and volunteer to serve Him in His plans and watch the miracle unfold....
Praise HIM....Attaching these pictures to share.

1 comments:

Jenny and Matt said...

"I wonder why I worry sometimes...."
No kidding, why do we allow ourselves to get so burdened with our own thinking?
Thanks for the recap of your adoption story! New to me - I love it.