Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Great Day!

I am realizing that school is just way too stressful for my kids. If I didn't have to work I probably would opt to home school. I have figured out today that I need to meet our kids teachers again and tell them we may let up on them a bit. There isn't a ton of homework but some of it is over their heads and really makes them feel insecure, frustrated, sad etc. So, we will lighten up a bit ...AND I will try to do simple non stressful assignments at home to enhance their learning. So, we started the day with the kids decorating the screened in porch. They decided they each would make their own sleeping area and imagine they would sleep in it tonight. Which I knew when nighttime came they would be terrified to do that. They brought everything in and now we have blankets, pillows, stuffed animals all over our living room...but they had lunch and snacks out there and kept saying "I am so happy.."...Then they had to clean their rooms. Ella was upset and wanted to stay under her bed . I made her get out from under the bed...she said "i just want to lay there. I am tired" (I think she was exhausted from the week). But I made her get up because I knew she would be really sad laying under the bed plus I wanted to keep her away from the window). I told her if she wanted to lay down she could lay on my bed or her special bed on the porch. She immediately cheered up and was happy all day.. She has developed this cute but strange comforting technique. She has a strong love for the guitar. She wants it by her bed and wants to strum on it and sing when she is stressed or for any other reason. I think we will get her guitar lessons. She has a birthday on 8/12 and wants a Hannah Montana guitar. We visited some friends from their orphanage (LAYLA HOUSE) today. We met Berhan, Hailu, Masene, Safiya, Mati and their families. We swam in their hotel pool and then went to dinner. In the morning the kids were nervous and afraid of seeing some of their old friends. By the afternoon, they were really excited to see them. I had to tell them though that we were still in America and North Carolina. I had to remind them we only drove a few miles to their hotel from our house. When we went to the Ethiopian restaurant later Ella placed her head in my belly and wanted to be glued to me. She said "I don't like this place" Then I said "We are still in America in North Carolina and we are all coming home together back to your room and house." Then she immediately left my side and started dancing around. When the food was set before them they devoured it. It had been 3 months since they have had Ethiopian food. I just haven't made any and my friends haven't stopped by with any. Matea also kept saying "more injera, more injera". So they really had so much fun. Parenting adopted kids from a different culture is a real learning experience. I am learning that you can't necessarily play by the same rules. I am reading the beyond consequences model and joined their forum. Sometimes the techniques work and sometimes they don't. It is really intense though our lows feel very low and dire sometimes when they act like they hate us so much and then the next day/minute all is well. We are trying to regulate to have fewer LOWS. I think by God's grace we will all be great. The kids loved being at the restaurant but were elated to be back home with all of us....it is so sweet. They are incredible children and I can't believe how blessed we are. It is such hard work and committing to parenting these children isn't easy but it can also be so fulfilling. I still give God all the glory for our family. What a blessing they are....Thanks for all of the prayers.

1 comments:

Tara said...

Hi, I recently adopted two sibling girls ages 10 and 7 and am having some similiar issues that you have posted about. I also have 5 other children and I am very curious about this forum you joined to help you with the issues? If you wouldn't mind emailing me Id love to hear about it. We have really BAD days and then REALLy good days..Everytime I think we have finally made progess in a certain area, we regress, BIG time!! thanks, Id appreciate any links you could email me. I follow your blog all the time:) Tara