Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Day in the Hospital! (warning blood mentioned)

So, we had a very active day yesterday with Grace in the hospital from 3:30 until 1am. Yesterday at about 2:45 we were leaving the pool and Grace apparently had slipped and hit STRADDLE on the side of the pool. But I didn't see it..she didn't tell us because she said it didn't hurt. When we were leaving she called me into the bathroom. BLOOD EVERYWHERE...everywhere. I thought for a second that maybe she started menstruating but it was so massive it would be unlikely. She told me about hitting the pool but said it didn't hurt and "I touch pool LITTLE" (huge understatement). We went home. She was embarrassed and didn't want the boys to know. But i told Mark i had to take her to the doctor. We went in. They winced when they saw all of the blood (doctor's) and called a pediatric OBGYN who told us to go to the emergency room at the hospital immediately. So i called mark to meet us and we went to the hospital. They took CBC and blood pressure for hours while waiting for the appropriate doctor's to come to assess and fix the laceration. They eventually found a tear that required 5 stitches. She had to be put asleep for the procedure. They said the huge loss of blood is typical in vascular areas. There are no awful side effect or lasting wounds and she will be fine. But it was scary. Grace lives up to her name though. I don't know another 10 year old girl who would have been so poised through all of this. No screams, freak outs or fits. She was extremely calm but upset that they wouldn't feed her. I had to be seated with my head between my knees at one point. When she came out of the anesthesia i told her it wasn't her period but a tear...she laughed and said "WOOHOO" as if celebrating. And then said "I told you. I 10. No so soon." I had told her maybe she was older and it just started early. She said "no I 10" She was happy that she still had time to be a girl rather than a woman. This morning she woke up at 7am and still isn't tired or ready for bed. She was mad at us when we told her to take it easy today..."WHY? I good..all done..no bleed" She is amazing. It humbles me though to be reminded that in Ethiopia this could have been fatal. There are only about 100 obgyn's in the entire country. Our OBGYN said that she has seen some straddle wounds like this before. When they operated to sew it up it only took 10 minutes...We are so blessed in this country. I thank God that sweet Grace is alive and doing well...she did say "No more swim." We are grateful for any continued prayers.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Wow, Deanna, I am so glad she is ok. I called today & left you a message on your VM... Blain told me today about Grace's accident. I'm praying for her, although, maybe you are the one who needs the prayers too!! I know I would too! :-)

Lisa said...

Ohhh! She is so precious. What a sweetheart thru all of that. You sure have your hands full as Mom to all of these precious children. Prayers out to you all.
Lisa
www.my2ethiopiangirls.blogspot.com