Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Adoption Battle/It's War!

I wanted to create this post to encourage some of my friends out there currently adopting. We originally adopted from Guatemala in 2005 and then brought our 3 Ethiopian children home in February 2008. Adoption is a total battle and labor of perseverance. When adopting Matea it was the hardest because we would receive the absolutely worst pictures that anyone had ever taken. One even showed her sneezing. She was HUGE and expressionless and HATE TO ADMIT..I would have these images of someone fattening her up and just letting her lay around like they do those baby calves (to create Veal)...I would wake up at night thinking this child is not going to fit into our family ...what if there is something wrong....and worse than that I totally was not connecting to the pictures. The agency owner didn't help. Upon visiting Matea she sent me a message telling me she was seriously concerned about her weight (at 4 months) and that she seemed to be 'reticent". So I ended up not sleeping and waking up in fits of prayers etc. We decided to visit mid process when Matea was 5 months old...upon meeting her all I could say is that she was the closest thing to one of those cherubic angels that you see in a Michaelangelo painting. She was gorgeous and had more personality and intelligence than any 5 month old baby I had ever met. I was instantly smitten. When I came back to the states we still had a long wait...I received some pics where she looked miserable. She was frowning (I interpreted it to mean she seriously missed me and was mad at me for leaving her at 5 months). I thought it would be funny for me to share her 3 month pics that were sent to me. All of my friends would look at the pics and say "OH!" with a very shocked expression as if they were trying hard to say something nice. NOT PRETTY PICS AND NOT A PRETTY BABY in these pics. Here are some words of encouragement and pics to look at.

James 1:12Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has
promised to those who love him.

EX. 14:13-14 "Stand your ground...The Lord Himself will fight for you; You have only to keep still."

"We also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character, and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame [hope does not disappoint us], because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us." Romans 5: 3-

To my friends struggling out there please don't give up on these children. THey need you and will be the most beautiful children in the world to you once you battle past those doubts and fears. Also,please know you are not alone. THis happens. Mostly know that these are the children God has annointed to be your children and be in your care. Embrace them...



Try not to laugh too hard...

1 comments:

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

I SO needed this post today! I think that the Lord had you write it just for me! :-) I think that I may even be borrowing your verses for my blog post once I muster up enough energy to write about another week gone by with no news. UGH!
Blessings,
Kristy :-)