Pages

Monday, December 29, 2008

First Christmas as a family of 8!

As you can see from the multiple posts we had a busy first Christmas together. A year ago we spent a bittersweet Christmas longing for the kids to be home. We had failed court 5 times and didn't hear until after Christmas that we had passed court. We had prayed and prayed for them to be home by Christmas last year but it didn't happen. Still God gave us a blessing. When we laid eyes on the adoption papers when we were in Addis in late January we saw that they were stamped 12/25/07. Our children officially became ours on Christmas day last year. I had received a note from Grace when she was still in Ethiopia. She said "Don't worry mom we will have many holidays together." So, this year was special. Last night the girls and I went to see the Nutcracker with the African Children's Choir sharing auditorium seats with us. At one point Ella looked up at me and said "This is not TV?" I had told her it would be real people dancing but it took her until almost the end of the first act to figure out that this was real. They laughed at the men in tights (saying they looked naked). And thought it was funny when Clara's brother was spanked on stage....We also spent time with Aunt Debbie in Asheville and had a nice visit with Aunt Denise and family at my house. The girls said "Mom all your sister cook." They have spent time with all 3 of my sisters and enjoy them greatly. We had 5 children's parties at school. Two school programs. One church program. One visit to Asheville to see the gingerbread houses. A few parties, a few Christmas movies...too many cookies, christmas cards, Italian Christmas eve dinner, turkey Christmas day dinner...two large Christmas trees and 4 small ones (two in front of the house with lights), the kids will say there were too many church services....It was special and one we will always remember....I am so at peace knowing that my family is complete and that we can rest knowing that we have been obedient in adopting these children into our family,....It is loud, noisy and still the kids are out of school (it has been almost a month)...but it truly was Merry...

3 comments:

Kristin said...

As I have said before, I have yet to read your blog and not be filled with laughter or tears of joy! You inspire me Deanna! I'm so thankful to have you 'close by'. Thank you for sharing your life. I identify much with the life you live, not because I am living it now (not by far at all) but because this is how I see our future. What you do and how you think.... you remind me of my self and i can't help but wonder how I will be with a big brood of our own. Thank you for your inspirations and being just so real :)You are refreshing.

Kathy S. said...

Deanna, It seems so joyfilled. I read the notes and mostly and thinking about a modern day "8 is Enough". Lots of chaos and fun. The kind you wouldn't want another way.
I hope that 2009 brings you and Mark and all your children the blessings you deserve!
Love, Kathy S.

Beth in NC said...

It seems like a lifetime ago ... the praying, the waiting. Can you even remember life before your family was complete? Amazing.

Love!
Beth