Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Don't Underestimate them!

When I brought the kids home a year ago they spoke about 10 words in English. I was told it would take years for them to catch up academically. Half way into the year we visited Ella's teacher and were concerned that she was dyslexic and wanted to know what to do. They told us to be patient. Last night Ella in breakneck speed shouted out the order of all of our birthdays in the year. I had to take a minute and check and sure enough she could point to each person in the family and place them in order as to when their birthdays would come. She is still working to catch up but we are really impressed and no longer worried about learning disabilities (although we would adjust if there were any). Jared is really smart and is spelling everything....Grace same thing...Matea is 3 and spends time with Ella writing and spelling. Andrew and Sam spent half of dinner running through algebraic formulas (Mark and i have to review theorders of operation because we don't know).

I just bring all of this up because it really is true that adopted children make huge strides in the first year and years to come. My kids still have a ways to go to catch up with but the level of advancement is huge. They are remarkable. But patience is a virtue and we are happy with the strides they have made. We have also watched as the kids have grown severalinches and pounds. I know of some people who are where we were a year ago wondering if their kids will learn their ABC's and how to add. They are also wondering if they will ever say "Mommy I love you." I want to encourage them and say "PRAY" and just believe that God can move mountains.....

1 comments:

Beth in NC said...

That is awesome Deanna! And you've got me concerned if Matea is spelling and reading. If that is so -- I am feeling the pressure!

Love you!
b