Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Amusement Parks and risk taking..


As I prepare for this trip to pick up our 3 new children I cannot possibly articulate the feelings that are racing through me. The only analogy that comes close are amusement parks, race cars or childhood analogies. When I was a kid I loved going on roller coasters. And I loved riding my bike with no hands (no helmet either). I became such an expert on my 10 speed that I could ride a full block with no hands. I could also ride as fast as possible and go onto the curb, brake the bike and skid near the front porch in time for dinner...I also remember loving sledding so much that I took my sled after an intense snow into one of my neighbors yards. I didn't even know this person. What I did know was that there was a hill and then a drop over a 4 foot cliff into the snow and then I would eventually land in the alley...I really wasn't very worried about cars, my back or freezing while I was out there. I got older and became less courageous when it came to all things physical. I no longer enjoy going on roller coasters. I am not a thrill seeker when it comes to sports etc. I don't like driving too fast either. But it dawned on me the other day that the adventure seeker in me never died. I jumped on a plane at 18 to move to NYC by myself and I continue to try to challenge myself in this life. When I was in Target a few days ago and I found out that we were actually going to Ethiopia to get our children, I once again felt that finally after traveling up the steep incline on the roller coaster we were finally going to reach the peak and start screaming in fear, joy and excitement as the roller coaster finally was able to give us the exhilaration we were waiting for as it dropped, curled upside down and went around the curve. We didn't head into this adoption to be exhilarated but somehow being on God's track and doing His will is hands down the most scary, exciting, joyous experience of our lives...I feel like truly screaming in fear sometimes and then breaking out into the loudest laughter in my amazement in seeing how He has put all of this together...Incredible...Praise God!

1 comments:

Teresa B. said...

Praise The Lord!
I am so happy for you & can't wait to follow the rest of your journey.
Love,
Teresa
www.chosenbygodtobechosenbyus.blogspot.com