Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Blissful!

So we had to leave on Thursday to go to Palm Beach (without the kids). I have to say that I both dreaded leaving them and really also enjoyed a couple of days with my hubby (even though it was a work week). Before we left we talked to the kids...we even showed them a map and a calendar to show them where we would be, when we would come back, what we were doing and WHO would be taking care of them (had the babysitter hang out with us the night before). So we thought they understood. The girls handled it really well. In the past week we had made amazing strides with Jared. We have seen him go from acting out in anger to having no fits at all. Part of it was due to our totally learning how to baby him and watch as he responded really well to affection and doting....The hitting etc had also decreased. But after we left he gave the baby sitter a really hard time. She put him in the corner. He tore the curtains off of the rod and ripped out a curtain rod that was hanging. We now have to do some serious work on that includes repairing a wall in the house we are trying to sell. Callie said he even spit ...but he did wipe it up (something we insisted on when he did it once before). So she spent the first several hours with this behaviour. After we had called to remind him that we are the parents that always come home and will always be there for him (we worded it that way so he would not associate us with the parents that both died)., he appeared to be much better. But I did return to also find Grace with a huge wound on her ear where Jared scratched a chunk of skin off of her ear.

Our gig was at a club in Palm Beach called Club Collette. We performed for a 95th birthday party for a man who is still dancing the merengue with his 90 year old bride. This man even at his age pretty much owns Palm Beach. And we had the pleasure of performing with Steve Lawrence and Edie Gormet. They were still really good. Any of you out there who do not know them, they were very famous about 30 years ago...or more....ha! And I believe I have found my demographic...the 90 ish crowd loved me...and the band. I totally was being flirted with my many 80-95 year olds.

We are closing on the house tomorrow. I am very nervous as many of you know because the house we are in hasn't sold yet. BUTTTT....we are moving forward and believing God will provide. The new house is beautiful and a perfect layout for our family. And honestly I know I am stressing but trying to keep a proper perspective. I have a great husband, health and a wonderful family. So...in some ways my concerns about finances seem unimportant compared to the fact that we have so much already. Still...it would take so much stress off and we would sleep better knowing we had some money back in the bank.....which could happen once we sell the house.

Still today was so incredible. We came home yesterday afternoon. The kids were so happy to see us. I spent the day with 5 of my children following me from room to room. I would go to put my keys down...there they were...I would go and brush my teeth..there they were...I would go to get a glass of water...there they were...bathroom...there too...everywhere. I spent the end of the day taking braids out and washing 5 bodies (baths and showers). These kids literally squeal with delight when they shower. At the end of the day they all had their clothing picked out for the next day. Even Jared always choses the best clothing combinations to wear. I never have had to ask any of them to make their beds, wash their faces or get dressed. It is always done before I am even up. Before bed I notice that Ella looks like she has eye make up on. She had found Sam's mascara and I had to take it off....Grace laughed so hard at her. So this morning I see beautiful Ella...something is different about her. It would appear that where there once was a full eyebrow now only 2/3rds is left. She found Samantha's razor and had Jared shave her eyebrow when I wasn't looking. Grace laughed so hard when she saw her. I tried really hard to draw in part of a brow but she still looked like she constantly had one eyebrow up and one down because she had shaved the top part of her right brow. So we go to church and they meet Naty today...they were very low key but had a great time visiting with him. They enjoyed church but would not go to sunday school again. But Grace with thrilled with the sermon. Eventhough she had no clue what they were saying Pastor Lafoon kept saying the word GRACE...both her and Ella loved that.

Later in the day I baked a couple of chickens (only cost 3.85 for 2 chickens) and made rice, broccoli and SHIRO a famous ethiopian dish. Grace helped me. It was so much fun. They also were excited when they saw that I had bought avocado at the store. Grace told me that in Asela the babies eat avocados...I fed my babies avocados too. Grace made sure to set the table, salt the shiro and instruct me on putting more water in for the dish. We were totally a team and i really really enjoyed it. She is a very mature 9 year old. After dinner Sam and Ella cleaned.....WOW! the two girls together were great. I kept feeling as if I was in my Grandma Jones' kitchen. There was so much great female energy and i was totally feeling like this was what I signed up for with having a big family. The team work was great...seeing how these kids have already made positive changes to adjust in the family brings me to tears. They are really incredible. In the past 3 years they have seen their parents die, tried to survive with their grandmother, had to say goodbye to the only home they had known in Asela to move to an orphanage in Addis, prayed and prayed for a family, spent time adjusting to life in an orphanage, adjusted, found out they had a family, waited, met the family, had to say goodbye again to Asela, Layla House and Ethiopia, adjusted again, loved and trusted again, and still held on to believing that God is there for them. When I look at how far they have come, how far we have come I can't help but suspend my fears and disbelief and force myself to PUSH THROUGH...believing that the last step in selling this house has to be so minor compared to the huge hurdles that have already been cleared for this family...Thank you God...thank you God....We are elated....and feeling your peace and it is blissful. We close tomorrow and move on Wed. I haven't packed yet....

2 comments:

graceling said...

Deanna, saying a prayer that your house will sell!

(If I ever get married, I am totally going to have you guys play at my wedding! Of course, that may never happen, but it's fun to imagine:)

Eileen and Jerry Mestas said...

Hey guys, I am praying for you. I thought our house was crazy. Hey, I remember Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gormé. They were great. Eydie even recorded a Spanish album that was classic in my home growing up. In fact, I have that CD at home. Great stuff! Hope to get together with you guys soon.

Jerry