Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Open House!

Boy...planning an open house with 6 kids is no picnic. Tomorrow will be the first time I have to get them all ready for church. After church we can't go home because there will be an open house. SO, we are heading to my friends house for her EThiopian twins first birthday. They have been home since november. So, I buy all of these adorable church dresses. I mean modern, cute and hip. In an effort to save time, we get the dresses out along with tights and shoes. When I bought these dresses yesterday the girls showered me with kisses. Today, one wants to wear a white skirt to church tomorrow that I bought for 1.50 at the Goodwill along with a tshirt. The other decided that since her sister got the preferable goodwill skirt she would like one rather than the Kohl's dresses that I bought for them......UUUGGHH! Tears and the silent treatment. Of course, being an experienced parent I comment to Mark that I really prefer the silent treatment though to tantrums. HA!LOL! So, I give them a lecture on how I am going to return the dresses if they don't wear them and that they have to wear the dresses to church. My dress is not a very casual church. Plus I prefer to at least have them looking great the first few weeks. Also, Jared was in trouble again today for hitting. But he is very obedient in sitting in time out. AND I am becoming more aware that he really needs some bonding. I have to carve out some cuddle time with him because I think that even though he is 5 he is more like 2 or 3 when it comes to his emotional needs. That is not uncommon for children who haven't had much one on one time with their parents. He is really delightful and sweet and we love him so much but need to lay down the law. I watched as Grace (ejigayehu) folder her clothes (the goodwill ones) methodically for tomorrow. She them got dressed in pajamas put on a shower cap to protect her hair, brushed her teeth, put lotion on her face. I couldn't help thinking what a sweet young lady she is and how amazing it is going to be to see her grow up. These children are all doing really really well and it it truly a blessing to have them with us. I am trying to teach them though about needing my personal space. Imagine having a swarm of kids everywhere you go. They don't want to let me out of their sight. And they are the same with their Dad, sisters and brother. "Where is samantha?" Being a teenager she is out a lot but they are constantly thinking of her. It is very sweet. Please pray tomorrow for this open house. We really need to sell this house. The closing on the new one is on 2/18 and we just really need to sell....than you everyone.

D

2 comments:

graceling said...

I'll be praying that the open house is successful!

CHRISTY said...

Deanna,
It was such a pleasure meeting your family today at the party. I wanted to post a comment so that you could access our blog if you'd like. Also, Abby has made a "Welcome to America" picture to mail to Grace, so I would love to have a mailing address, if you'd be willing to share. We look forward to hearing more stories as everyone gets adjusted to your new family dynamics! Christy Campbell