Pages

Monday, February 4, 2008

Departure day!

Friday all day...."go america now". "Go aeroplan" Well I explained to them that first we had to get their hair done. Pack and go to their going away party. The girls had decided they wanted their hair straightened. To me that was fine..but then again I didn't really realize what that meant. My friends Pucci and Getish picked us all up in the car. We go to the hair place. The girls were sooo excited. Pucci knew the entire staff at the hair place and their gym was next door. While the girls were getting their hair done we went to see their recording studio. We came back and the girls look gorgeous. I am told to just put a scarf around the hair and it will remain fine. Well we went back to the guesthouse to get ready for the party. Ella now has decided that she cannot resist putting water into her hair. THe entire top part of her hair frizzes up. She starts to cry. I have NO CLUE what to do. DO I put more water (I am thinking that is a bad idea),,,I have no oil, no spray and frankly the African hair thing is a mystery to me. I convince her to go to layla early and they will fix it. They put two pony tails in the top. We go to the party. All 140 kids ar there. There are cakes, drinks and candy. The kids sing songs, clap hands and then pray and celebrate their new family. After the party Melkem and Martha invite us into their room. They have decorated and arranged a private party with songs prayers and refreshments. I sing two songs for them. Grace Ejigayehu takes me by the hand and says "Come, America go now." I am unglued at this point. I thought for sure she would not be ready to leave but instead she walks out of her old life into her new with the poise and Grace that I have already admired. We walk back to the guest house. She keeps looking up at me with the sweetest smile. I am in love with these children. We go to the guesthouse, finish packing...Ella Kidist 's hair is now half frizzy and half straight. I am laughing inside because I have no clue how to fix it. Now Ella thinks it is funny and makes her hair look outrageous....I find a scarf but realize that we will be arriving in america with the most bizarre hair do. When we get to the airport Grace Ejigayehu says "is this the aeroplan?". This was just as we arrive inside the terminal....Grace did not sleep on the flight.....the other kids slept for about 6 hours. THese children are incredible and I cannot get over how trusting and sweet they are.

When we arrive in America it takes 3 hours to get through immigration and customs. we barely make the Raleigh flight. As we were getting on the plane to RDU an african american airline employee comments on how beautiful the family is , she looks at Ella and then says to me "DO YOU HAVE SOMEONE TO HELP YOU WITH HER HAIR?" I just about lose it with laughter and tears at the same time....HELP ME WITH THE HAIR...

D

3 comments:

graceling said...

WE WANT PICTURES!!! Please?

graceling said...

WE WANT PICTURES!!! Please?

Ellie said...

That is so funny about the hair thing!! How are they adjusting to being home? You guys are coming to the party Sunday, right? Hope to see you there!!